Attention A T users. To access the menus on this page please perform the following steps.
1. Please switch auto forms mode to off.
2. Hit enter to expand a main menu option (Health, Benefits, etc).
3. To enter and activate the submenu links, hit the down arrow.
You will now be able to tab or arrow up or down through the submenu options to access/activate the submenu links.
- 2014 VA2K Walk and Roll
- Salem VAMC will be hosting its annual VA2K Walk and Roll on May 21, 2014 from 12-1p. The total distance is 2K (1.25 miles). We will meet outside the Auditorium (Building 5); if inclement weather we will meet inside.
- Veterans Only Regional Job Fair
- Salem VAMC will host the 3rd Annual Veterans Only Regional Job Fair on April 30, 2014, from 9a-2p in the Auditorium. About 30 employers will be on site to help Veterans find a job.
- Ribbon-Cutting for Salem Mental Health Building
- Salem VA Medical Center hosted a ribbon-cutting ceremony for the new Acute Mental Health Inpatient Building 170 on November 20, 2013 with focus on patient-centered care and patient safety.
- Veterans Events at Commonwealth Games of Virginia
- The Subway Commonwealth Games of Virginia on July 20-21, 2013, will offer 5 sporting events with special Veterans Divisions: Track and Field, Bowling, Archery, Shooting, and a 5K Run.
- E-Donate is Simple, Speedy, Safe
- The new E-Donate service allows community members who wish to give back to Veterans a quick, safe way to pledge their support online. You choose the medical center, the amount, and the account.
- We Have A New Look!
- Our new look is designed to help you easily and quickly access information with intuitive and easy-to-use navigation. We know that you consider this website our front door. And we want you to feel welcome.
- Salem VAMC 3rd Annual VA 2K Walk and Roll
- Join the fun - get exercise while benefitting Veterans who are homeless.
- 2013 Sexual Assault Awareness Walk
- Join us in our 2013 Sexual Assault Awareness Walk on April 19 beginning with registration at 4:30p in front of Building 5 (Auditorium).
- 2013 Veterans Job Fair
- In 2012, over 500 Veterans came out to the Regional Veterans Job Fair. If you are a Veteran looking for employment come to the Salem VAMC Auditorium (Building 5) on April 30th between 9a-2p.
- 2013 Valentines for Veterans Concert
- Country music artist, Daryle Singletary, will perform at the 2013 Valentines for Veterans Concert on February 12, 2013 at 7pm, at the Salem Civic Center.
From the Veterans Health Administration
- Two Forms of ID Now Needed to Request VHIC Card
- VA has strengthened the ID requirements to request the new Veteran Health Identification Card (VHIC). Enrolled Veterans now will need two forms of ID. See the acceptable ID documents in this story.
- Seeking New Coping Tools for Veterans with TBI
- Cognitive rehabilitation researchers are testing new tools and strategies — from smartphone apps to online brain training — to help Veterans cope with the effects of mild traumatic brain injury.
- "Family" of Patients Appreciate VA Doctor
- Veteran patients of VA doctor in Augusta, Georgia, tell why they “wouldn’t have any other doctor.” Dr. Jianhua Cheng replies that he just wants to do his best and praises the entire Augusta team.
- Stand Downs - Putting Lives Back Together
- Stand Downs — Providing services to homeless Veterans, including health screenings, benefits counseling and other referrals. A collaborative effort by VA and other government and community agencies.
- Veterans: Have a health question? Search here!
- We’ve put the contacts for almost all your health questions in one convenient health index. Add this site to your FAVORITES for a link to take you to VA websites with valuable information.
- Helping Women Veterans Find the Help They Need
- VA’s Women Veterans Call Center has received over 11,000 incoming calls and made nearly 130,000 outbound calls, successfully reaching 76,000 women Veterans. The number is 1-855-VA-WOMEN.
- National Veterans Wheelchair Games Come to Philadelphia
- The National Veterans Wheelchair Games are designed to improve the quality of life for Veterans with disabilities and to foster better health through sports competition.
- The Purple Heart: One Veteran's Long Journey
- Thousands of American Veterans have received the Purple Heart. We mark the anniversary of the creation of the award by George Washington with the story of John Reist, wounded three times in Vietnam.
- Veterans: Keep Your Immunizations Up to Date
- Protect you and your family by keeping your vaccinations current. Here are some helpful links to websites on immunization information.
- Vanquishing PTSD at the Cellular Level
- VA researchers are exploring the possibility of using a steroid pill to take the trauma out of traumatic memories by quieting the intense and sometime debilitating emotions associated with those memories.