Salem VA Medical Center
Schedule a VA Appointment
There are many ways for Veterans to make health care appointments.
- If you don’t have VA health care benefits, you can apply now. Apply for VA health care.
- If you’re having a medical emergency, please call 911 or call the Veterans Crisis Line at 1-800-273-8255, then press 1.
Schedule an Appointment
Follow the instructions on this page on how to make an appointment by phone at this facility.
VA now offers online appointment scheduling for some appointments. We hope to expand the number of VA facilities and types of appointments in the future.
If you have VA health care benefits, you can schedule your VA primary care appointments online if you:
- Are scheduling your appointment with a VA medical facility that accepts online scheduling, and
- Have had a primary care appointment at that VA facility within the last 2 years, and
- Have a My HealtheVet Premium account or DS Logon Premium account (used for eBenefits and milConnect)
With your online account, you’ll also be able to:
- Track the status of requests
- Send messages about requested appointments
- Get notifications about appointments
- Cancel appointments
Upgrade your Existing Accounts
At Salem VA Medical Center, we have established a number of procedures to assist you in getting an appointment without a long delay. Our goals are simple —
- see your primary care provider within one to two business days
- faster access to speciality care
If you need to make, cancel or change an appointment, please call the Medical Center at (540) 982-2463 or 1-888-982-2463 and press the * key. Follow the prompt tree for further instructions.
If you cannot keep an appointment, please contact us as soon as possible. This will allow us to reschedule you sooner as well as schedule one of your fellow veterans for the original appointment date and time.
Direct Scheduling is also available to make an appointment for a routine eye or audiology exam. To schedule for the Eye clinic, please dial extension 2826. For audiolog, please dial extension 4249.
TIP: You are able to check your upcoming appointment dates and times online if you are registered and authenticated to use My HealtheVet!
If a Veteran arrives at an urgent care network location and has any difficulty receiving care, they can call 866‑620‑2071 to receive assistance.
Using In-Network Urgent Care Centers
To find a in-network urgent care center, click here.
If a Veteran arrives at an urgent care network location and has any difficulty receiving care, they can call 866‑620‑2071 to receive assistance
Information to Help You Decide about Where to Receive Your Care
VA has a regularly updated Access to Care website that provides useful information that can help you to decide the best VA location for you to receive your care. Before making an appointment, you can find out the following information for a VA location:
- Wait times for primary care, mental health, and some of the commonest specialties
- If same day services are available in primary care and mental health
- If Telehealth is available in primary care and mental health
- If it has an emergency room
- Facility contact information
- Veteran satisfaction scores
- Quality information comparing each VA and local area non-VA healthcare facilities
VA is committed to give Veterans the access to care they need, when they need it. When you’re planning your care at VA, you can rely on us to give you the information you need to make informed health care decisions.